Networking and Telecommunications - Missouri State University Information Services Missouri State University Networking and Telecommunications
Skip search and site index

Long Distance Services

This page is no longer being maintained but remains relevant to subscibers of the old phone system. Information on the new phone system is available here ("Voice Services").

Many of the features on this page are still available on the new phone system.

  • Long distance service is provided through the Avaya Enterprise Communication Server utilizing a "least cost" routing system.  Missouri State University currently uses the Qwest network.
    Note: In some instances Community Optional Service (COS) will be charged a long distance rate.  Please call extension 6-5100 for further explanation.
  • Long distance service will be provided to faculty and staff at the discretion of the individual's department head.
  • The University long distance network is to be used by faculty and staff for official business only.  Personal use of long distance service is discouraged and should only be done in an urgent/emergency situation. Upon receipt of the charges for any personal calls/facsimiles, the employee must reimburse the University and maintain a copy of the paid receipt within the department files.
  • Courtesy telephones are available for personal telephone calls using a calling or prepaid long distance card.  The employee can call from a University telephone if the call is billed to the employee's home telephone.  Abusive or inappropriate use of the voice network shall result in disciplinary action and will be the responsibility of the individual user.
  • University operators will not place off-campus calls for campus callers.
  • If unauthorized use of long distance is suspected, or you experience technical problems, or have billing concerns, contact Networking and Telecommunications at extension 6-5100.
  • Collect or third party calls to University numbers are not allowed.  However, if a department wishes to receive collect or third party billed calls, a memorandum to that effect must be sent by the department head to the Director of Computer Services, Cheek Hall Room 160 or electronically to which will be forwarded to the Computer Services Department Head for approval.  Upon receipt of the request, arrangements will be made with the service providers.
  • Official business calls made from home or while traveling are not to be charged to University telephones.  Business calls of this type are expenses that are reimbursed by filing a travel expense form
  • If an employee travels frequently, it is recommended that a University calling card be assigned to the employee for placing long distance calls when out of town.  (refer to calling cards).
  • A Personal Identification Number (PIN) or Authorization Code can be assigned to individuals for placing long distance calls from University phones.